More than 300 of the best fencers in the United States will compete in Long Island this weekend at the Division I Foil North American Cup.
The two-day event begins on Saturday and will include Olympic and World Team members vying for gold and valuable qualification points for the 2017 Senior World Championships.
Competition will be held at Mission Fencing Center, 346 NY-25A in Rocky Point with the women’s events being held on Saturday and the men’s events taking place on Sunday.
All events are free and open to the public with competition schedule as follows:
Saturday, Dec. 10 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Division I Women’s Foil
9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Division I Men’s Foil
The North American Cup will feature competition in foil only – one of the three weapons contested in Olympic fencing.
Athletes from a dozen countries, including the United States, Japan, Canada and Russia will compete in the North American Cup.
The field is scheduled to include numerous contenders for the 2017 Senior World Team as well as past Junior (U20) and Cadet (U17) World medalists, including:
- Nicole Ross (New York City, N.Y.), 2012 Olympian and No. 5 ranked women’s foil fencer in the world
- Sabrina Massialas (San Francisco, Calif.), three-time Senior World Team member and 2016 Junior World Champion
- Margaret Lu (Greenwich, Conn.), three-time Senior World Team member and five-time Junior World medalist
- Sara Taffel (New York City, N.Y.), 2015 Junior World Champion
- Jerry Chang (Mountain View, Calif.), 2012 Junior World Team Champion
- Brian Kaneshige (Maplewood, N.J.), 2011 Junior World Team Champion
- Iman Blow (Brooklyn, N.Y.), two-time Junior World team medalist
- Morgan Partridge (Swansea, Mass.), two-time Junior World team medalist
- Sylvie Binder (Armonk, N.Y.), 2016 Cadet World Champion
- Geoffrey Tourette (Cupertino, Calif.), 2016 Cadet World Champion
- Sam Moelis (Hewlett, N.Y.), 2015 Cadet World Champion
- Stefani Deschner (Mechanicsville, Va.), 2016 Cadet World bronze medalist
For more information, contact Nicole Jomantas, USA Fencing Communications Manager, at 719.761.7909 or N.Jomantas@usfencing.org.