The Southampton History Museum was organized in 1898 and incorporated in 1910. In its early days, the Museum collected and exhibited historical objects and documents relating to the history and development of Southampton, organized pageants and gave lectures on antiques. By 1960 the Rogers Mansion property had expanded to include 12 historic structures including an 1830 one-room schoolhouse, an 1825 barn and a 19th century paint store, among others. The Mansion is the main administrative center for the organization and is open year-round. Today the Museum’s mission is to preserve and promote the history and culture of the Town of Southampton by engaging and inspiring diverse audiences. It does this through the management of 4 separate properties with 14 historic buildings that contain changing exhibits on historic topics, a research center and educational programs for schoolchildren and adults.