The Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society’s mission is to preserve, maintain and operate the Fire Island Lighthouse and keepers quarters for the general public, school and other interested groups to promote Long Island’s heritage and culture. East of the Robert Moses State Park.
Walk the scenic boardwalk, climb to the top of the tower, visit the museum, and see the original 1858 Fresnel lens on display.
The lighthouse is also available for small wedding ceremonies and photos.
The first Fire Island Light blinked on in 1826 to guide ships to New York Harbor with a beacon 74 feet above sea level. But shipwrecks continued to occur, and the U.S. Lighthouse Board decided the beacon was too low for a major coastal light. Congress appropriated $40,000 and the current 166-foot brick tower was illuminated November 1, 1858, and became the first light sighted by transatlantic ships and tens of thousands of immigrants. The black and white bands on the tower were added in 1891. The lighthouse with its classic beehive-shaped Fresnel lens throwing a beam 21 miles, went dark in 1974 and was replaced by an automated light on the water tower adjacent Robert Moses State Park. But as a result of the raising of $1.2 million by the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society, the Fire Island Light has been relit with an automated beacon. The keeper’s quarters now house a museum and gift shop and tours up the 182-step tower are available.
- Open For Business: Yes
- Temporarily Closed: No
- Gift Shop