Eisenhower Park Red Course
The Red Course, one of three 18-hole golf courses at Eisenhower Park, has a storied history. Originally, it was part of the exclusive Salisbury Golf Club, begun by wealthy Long Islanders such as A.T. Stewart, a 19th-century retailer and property magnate who founded the Village of Garden City. The Red was designed in 1914 by a prominent local golf course architect, Devereux Emmet, who was married to one of Stewart’s nieces. Emmet was also a descendant of Thomas Addison Emmet, a founder of New York City’s Tammany Hall political machine. Most of Emmet’s courses were designed during the era of hickory-shafted clubs and were short by current standards, at around 6,000 yards. (The U.S. Golf Association did not accept the use of steel shafts until 1924.) Today, the course measures 7,003 yards from the championship tees, 6,407 yards from the middle tees, and 5,588 yards from the forward tees. Working with PGA Tour architects, the Parks Department’s experienced golf crew is continually enhancing the quality of this championship course. In 2005, three new tee boxes and four new fairway bunkers were completed, while the 3rd and 12th holes were redesigned and upgraded. The Red Course’s history with championship golf goes back to 1926, when the course hosted the PGA Championship. In that contest, legendary golfer Walter Hagan won the third of four consecutive PGA titles, capturing an $11,100 purse in the process. These days, the Red Course plays host to the PGA Tour’s Commerce Bank Championship (scheduled this year from June 27 through July 4). Click here for link to Commerce Bank Championship Website. PGA golfer Lee Trevino has called Eisenhower Red “one of the better and one of the toughest courses we play.” During golf events, the Red Course is considered friendly both for golfers and spectators, with relatively flat and short distances between greens and tees. The course also has many crosswalks that allow fans to get around easily and see the players.