• ADDRESS: Main Street and Garden Street, Sag Harbor, NY 11963
  • PHONE: (631) 692-4664
  • REGION: South Fork / Hamptons to Montauk

Custom House, The

The Custom House was owned by Sag Harbor’s first United States Custom Master, Henry Packer Dering.  The daily activities of Dering, his wife and nine children are vividly portrayed in the room settings of a formal dinner, office, children’s room, kitchen, pantry and laundry.

Sag Harbor became a United States port of entry in 1789, with a growing population involved in servicing whalers, coasters and West Indies trade ships.