Director of Sales and Sports Development
Discover Long Island seeks a dynamic and experienced sales professional to serve in a leadership position reporting directly to the President & CEO.
This leadership position will represent the organization nationally and locally while managing a sales and service team. The primary responsibilities are to position the destination as one of the most desirable locations in the United States, increase group business during need periods and develop alliances with key industry organizations. This leadership position will develop new marketing campaigns for meetings and will evaluate processes, programs, and sales activities to ensure all goals and objectives are achieved effectively. This position must have strong public speaking/presentation skills, proven conflict management experience, and strategic thinking abilities.
- Represent Discover Long Island in various board, industry, and community leadership meetings.
- Evaluate and assess the strategic plan, budget, organizational structure, goals, and metrics.
- Build relationships and open communication both internally and externally with team members, partners, and stakeholders.
- Make recommendations for new and creative strategies that identify new opportunities for group business for the destination.
- Ensure Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is woven into the fabric of the organization and strategic plan.
- Extensively interact with hotel community and strategic partners to establish strong working relationships to support overall goals and objectives.
- Serve in voluntary leadership roles in the community and industry-related organizations.
- Active involvement and engagement in sales missions, site visits, FAMS, and other industry events.
- Identify market opportunities and develop long and short-term sales strategies for the destination.
- Develop a data-based approach to identifying best meeting leads and competitive analysis.
- Rally hospitality partners behind sales strategies, leveraging relationships, strong communications, and trust.
- Develop and manage department budget, annual sales plan, staff and goal setting to ensure progress toward goals through management and support of sales team.
- Support team with training and team building.
- Collaborate with marketing and communications team to identify and recommend strategies and tactics to sell the destination.
- Report results in an engaging way at meetings of board members, stakeholders and industry partners.
- Carry out leadership responsibilities including recruitment, on-boarding, mentoring, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees and addressing conflicts and resolving problems.
- Ensure site visits and customer engagement opportunities are engaging, creative and competitive as needed to win customer’s business.
- Maintain the integrity of customer relationship management (CRM) system.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: Hospitality industry-related field is a plus.
Special Skills: Knowledge of solicitation and influential strategies. Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
Minimum 5 years’ experience leading a sales strategy and team of sales professionals.
This position requires the ability to work independently toward the strategic goals of the team and organization, while working cooperatively with the Leadership Team. This role also requires meeting schedules and deadlines, planning and organizing work, and communicating effectively both orally and in writing. There is regular travel to conventions, meetings, and trade shows.
- Assists with special projects as assigned by executive management and/or the CEO.
- Assists with general office duties and sales as needed.
- Full time/In office position with competitive salary based on experience and skillsets.
- Medical, vision and dental Insurance.
- Vacation, sick and personal time off package.